A Trip to the Southernmost Point: Key West!

This summer I got to go somewhere new for vacation, and it’s been great! Although I still have two more days of beach bumming, I am happy to say that my time in the Keys has been nothing short of a great time. I promise I will limit the photos I add to this blog post. 

The first day in Key West we spent driving down from Miami, checking into our hotel, exploring the local shops, and going out to a delicious seafood restaurant! Ended the night with a slice of key lime pie, as if you could get another dessert down here! There is no shortage of palm trees around here and it makes me very happy.

Each morning was spent getting breakfast and coffee from a local coffee stand. As promised in my last post, I wouldn’t rest until I found a great bagel down here and it only took me until Tuesday morning to do so! Our hotel had this delicious salmon bagel and it was to die for. I was one happy camper and got it twice this week. The local coffee has also been great. I’ve gone to the Cuban Coffee Queen stand three times this week and plan to spend the rest of the week grabbing a latte before walking around.


As far as activities go for the week, there was no shortage of them! Tuesday was spent at the Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservation. There, we were able to see hundreds of beautiful butterflies and exotic birds. They also had two flamingos in the conservatory surrounded by amazing greenery and flowers. We were also able to see the Southernmost Point landmark. This marks the most southern point of the continental U.S. so it was cool to see. Wednesday I went to a spa and chilled at the hotel. The humidity is no joke down here so the pool time was much needed!

Thursday, we spent the morning at Fort Zachary Taylor. We were able to see the beautiful turquoise water and the old fort. I’ve never seen such pretty, clear water before! I was also able to spot a few hermit crabs crawling along on the beach. Our last big activity was today. We were able to tour the Ernest Hemingway House and Museum. I loved it and learned so much! The property was filled with descendants of Hemingway’s cats and these furry felines were all polydactyl which was so cool. This means they all either have or display the trait of having six toes. As if my trip couldn’t get any better, my camera is now filled with photos of cats! Made a pit stop at the Glazed Donut beforehand (thank you Aggie for the recommendation) and got a chocolate lover’s donut and iced coffee. A great end to a great morning!

I am excited to enjoy the rest of the weekend here in the Keys, but I am also looking forward to being home.

That’s all for now,

Abby


Comments

  1. Hey Abby!

    I loved reading about your adventures in Key West! I've been there a few times myself, always when our cruise ships docked, and I totally wish I could spend more time there! Your days sound so dreamy, especially the part about the butterflies and flamingos at the conservation! And the Southernmost Point is such a fun spot for photos. Also, omg, the Ernest Hemingway House with all those six-toed cats? That's definitely going on my bucket list for next time! I’m totally jealous of your mornings with bagels and lattes. It all sounds so perfect! Enjoy the rest of your trip! Can’t wait to see more pics and hear about the rest of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby, your vacation sounds wonderful! You've described a really colorful Key West experience, complete with window shopping, mouthwatering seafood, and the ideal bagel. Your experiences at the Ernest Hemingway House, the Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservation, the spa day, and Fort Zachary Taylor demonstrate an entertaining and well-rounded trip. Of course, coffee and donuts at the end sounds like a perfect way to wrap things up! Have a safe flight back home and enjoy the last days of your vacation in the Keys!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts